Kara’s practice primarily focuses on complex commercial litigation and includes a wide range of civil disputes involving breach of commercial contracts, trademark infringement, counterfeiting, unfair competition, and various other state and federal laws in both state and federal courts. Kara works at both the trial and appellate levels and has represented a wide range of clients, including those from the accounting, health care, pharmaceutical, higher education, insurance, service, and manufacturing (e.g. surgical devices, celebrity fragrances, sports apparel, and auto parts) industries.
Kara is skilled in many aspects of litigation, including researching and analyzing complex legal issues, drafting motions and appellate briefs, taking and defending depositions, preparing witnesses for depositions, and participating in trials. She has also served as an assistant district attorney in a pro bono capacity for Nassau County (NY) and has represented the City of New York as pro bono trial counsel.
Prior to joining Mintz, Kara worked as a litigation associate in the New York office of a prominent law firm.
- Georgetown University Law Center (JD)
- New York University (MPhil, Economics)
- Northeastern University (BS)
- Defended a broadcast and wireless tower owner and operator in an action brought by a purported broker of deal for towers; drafted a successful summary judgment motion disposing of alleged broker’s claims for nearly $20 million dollars and obtaining instead attorneys’ fees for our client
- Represented the inventor and manufacturer of a novel diamond currency product in a dispute with a former employee who sought to violate a restrictive covenant and misappropriate the company’s intellectual property through trial and settlement
- Defended a large auto parts manufacturer in numerous toxic suits in New York State; drafted motions in limine under evolving toxic tort expert requirements and obtained summary judgement or favorable settlements
- Defended CEO of a large scale communications service in a breach of contract action; drafted and argued a motion for summary judgment and obtained dismissal
- Represented the City of New York as lead pro-bono trial counsel in a slip-and-fall action
- Defended a racing association accused of negligence through trial and settlement
- Represented uniform manufacturer and servicer in multiple breach of contract matters throughout the Northeast region
- Represented Nassau County as an assistant district attorney serving in a pro-bono capacity in upholding felony conviction following felon’s appeal to the Second Department (NY)
- Defended a health and beauty product retailer in an action brought by a supplier alleging non-payment for goods sold
- Represented a commercial equipment manufacturer in an action for breach of contract and account stated
- Defended a NY hospital accused of employment discrimination; drafted a successful motion for summary judgment resulting in the case being dismissed
- Defended a health and beauty product wholesaler in a case brought by its business associates seeking to enforce agreement to agree involving a $5 million celebrity fragrance venture; drafted motion for summary judgment that resulted in dismissal of the action
- Defended a medical device manufacturer sued by a competitor alleging false advertising and deceptive trade practices; drafted a motion to dismiss resulting in dismissal of the action on jurisdictional grounds
- Defended a home health care services provider accused of unfair competition and tortious interference; drafted a motion to dismiss resulting in three out of four claims being dismissed
- Defended a money remittance system provider in a trade secret misappropriation action; drafted a motion to dismiss that dispensed with two of four claims
Recognition & Awards
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Rising Star - Business Litigation (2017)
- New York Super Lawyers: Rising Star - Business Litigation (2015 – 2016)