Kara’s practice primarily focuses on trademark and copyright disputes for clients in the pharmaceuticals, technology, retail, and consumer brands industries. She is extremely adept at helping clients ranging from Fortune 500 companies, start-ups and high-profile individuals in protecting their intellectual property rights. She also had deep experience with complex commercial litigation, including a wide range of civil disputes involving breach of commercial contracts, class actions, counterfeiting, unfair competition, and various other state and federal laws in both state and federal courts. Kara works at both the trial and appellate levels and has represented a wide range of clients, including those from the accounting, health care, pharmaceutical, higher education, insurance, service, and manufacturing (e.g. surgical devices, celebrity fragrances, sports apparel, and auto parts) industries.
Kara is skilled in many aspects of litigation, including researching and analyzing complex legal issues, drafting motions and appellate briefs, taking and defending depositions, preparing witnesses for depositions, and participating in trials. She has also served as an assistant district attorney in a pro bono capacity for Nassau County (NY) and has represented the City of New York as pro bono trial counsel.
Prior to joining Mintz, Kara worked as a litigation associate in the New York office of a prominent law firm.
- Assisted in representation of Barnana with respect to trademark matters.
- Served on team representing Black Girls Rock! with respect to trademark matters.
- Served on team representing PriceSmart in global intellectual property matters.
- Served on team Evofem Biosciences, Inc. in global trademark matters.
- Assisted on representation of Skillz in global trademark matters.
- Defended a metropolitan transportation authority in putative class action brought under the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act and successfully argued for and obtained a full dismissal of the action
- Defended a broadcast and wireless tower owner and operator in an action brought by a purported broker of deal for towers; drafted a successful summary judgment motion disposing of alleged broker’s claims for nearly $20 million dollars and obtaining instead attorneys’ fees for our client
- Represented the inventor and manufacturer of a novel diamond currency product in a dispute with a former employee who sought to violate a restrictive covenant and misappropriate the company’s intellectual property through trial and settlement
- Defended a large auto parts manufacturer in numerous toxic suits in New York State; drafted motions in limine under evolving toxic tort expert requirements and obtained summary judgement or favorable settlements
- Defended CEO of a large scale communications service in a breach of contract action; drafted and argued a motion for summary judgment and obtained dismissal
- Represented the City of New York as lead pro-bono trial counsel in a slip-and-fall action
- Defended a racing association accused of negligence through trial and settlement
- Represented uniform manufacturer and servicer in multiple breach of contract matters throughout the Northeast region
- Represented Nassau County as an assistant district attorney serving in a pro-bono capacity in upholding felony conviction following felon’s appeal to the Second Department (NY)
- Defended a health and beauty product retailer in an action brought by a supplier alleging non-payment for goods sold
- Represented a commercial equipment manufacturer in an action for breach of contract and account stated
- Defended a NY hospital accused of employment discrimination; drafted a successful motion for summary judgment resulting in the case being dismissed
- Defended a health and beauty product wholesaler in a case brought by its business associates seeking to enforce agreement to agree involving a $5 million celebrity fragrance venture; drafted motion for summary judgment that resulted in dismissal of the action
- Defended a medical device manufacturer sued by a competitor alleging false advertising and deceptive trade practices; drafted a motion to dismiss resulting in dismissal of the action on jurisdictional grounds
- Defended a home health care services provider accused of unfair competition and tortious interference; drafted a motion to dismiss resulting in three out of four claims being dismissed
- Defended a money remittance system provider in a trade secret misappropriation action; drafted a motion to dismiss that dispensed with two of four claims
Monthly TCPA Digest — May 2021
May 17, 2021 | Article | By Russell Fox, Joshua Briones, Jonathan P. Garvin, Kara M. Cormier
TCPA Litigation Update — Sixth Circuit Demands “Some Level of Knowledge” for Liability in Junk-Fax Cases, Confirms TCPA Reaches e-Faxes
May 17, 2021 | Article | By Joshua Briones, Kara M. Cormier
Monthly TCPA Digest — August 2020
August 18, 2020 | Article | By Joshua Briones, Russell Fox, Kara M. Cormier
TCPA Litigation Update — The Sixth Circuit Sides with Ninth and Second Circuits in Holding that a Stored Number Device is an ATDS Under the TCPA Even if it Cannot Randomly Generate Numbers
August 18, 2020 | Article | By Joshua Briones, Kara M. Cormier
Regulatory Update for NFA and FINRA Member Firms — COVID-19
March 18, 2020 | Alert | By Therese Doherty, Kara M. Cormier, Jason Burrell
Monthly TCPA Digest – September 2019
September 18, 2019 | Article
TCPA Class Action Update – The Eleventh Circuit Departs from the Ninth Circuit in Holding That the Receipt of One Text Message Does Not Convey Article III Standing
September 18, 2019 | Article
News & Press
Recognition & Awards
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Rising Star - Intellectual Property Litigation (2022)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Rising Star - Business Litigation (2017 – 2021)
- New York Super Lawyers: Rising Star - Business Litigation (2015 – 2016)