Susan currently manages the firm’s Trademark & Copyright Practice. Her extensive experience assisting clients with securing and protecting IP assets spans the globe. She has worked with companies in a vast array of industries, ranging from pharmaceuticals, medical devices, software, and electronics to entertainment, fashion, finance, and education. Susan is a prolific writer and lecturer, is recognized as a leader in the field of IP and is frequently invited to comment on issues of trademark and copyright law. Susan is highly regarded for her professional and ethical excellence as well as her ongoing commitment to pro bono and community service work.
Susan has managed the firm’s Trademark Practice for over 15 years. For over 30 years, her practice has involved all aspects of intellectual property and related corporate business transactions, with a particular emphasis on domestic and international trademark and copyright searching, prosecution, enforcement, counseling, and litigation. She specializes in trademark, copyright, domain name, trade dress, and related areas of Internet, e-commerce, unfair competition, customs, and advertising law, as well as intellectual property administrative litigation proceedings before the US Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) proceedings before ICANN, and federal civil litigation.
Her practice also encompasses intellectual property licensing, trade secrets, establishing corporate intellectual property programs, and conducting corporate audits and domestic and international due diligence investigations. She works with IP firms worldwide in protecting and enforcing her clients’ IP rights.
Susan has served as an Associate mentor and advisor for many years. Susan represents the firm as well as its affiliated entities in trademark and copyright matters.
Throughout her career, Susan has been an active writer and speaker. Susan has authored and contributed to numerous intellectual property books and publications and has served as an intellectual property commentator on Court TV, in the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, the Washington Post, and in other national and regional publications. She frequently presents and lectures on all aspects of intellectual property.
Susan participates in many professional and community service organizations. Her commitment to pro bono work for clients has been publicly recognized and is highlighted annually in the firm’s annual Pro Bono Report. She has also been recognized by many different organizations for her professional excellence and ethics.
Susan has been active for many years in the International Trademark Association (INTA), has served on numerous INTA committees and task forces, and was an editor for The Trademark Reporter. In addition, she participates in the intellectual property activities of the American Intellectual Property Law Association, the American Bar Association, the New York Intellectual Property Law Association, and the DC and Virginia bar associations. She has also served on several committees of the Technology Council of Maryland.
- George Washington University (JD)
- University of Miami (BA, English, Economics, Psychology, cum laude)
- Represented NxStage Medical in successfully challenging the domain name filing in Chile of nxstage.cl.
Recognition & Awards
- Included on the Washington DC Super Lawyers: Intellectual Property list (2007 – 2010, 2013 – 2018)
- Included on the Virginia Super Lawyers: Intellectual Property list (2006)
- Legal Media Group: World’s Leading Trade Mark Practitioners
- Legal Media Group: World’s Leading Women in Business Law
- American Registry: America's Most Honored Professionals
- American Registry: Top Attorneys in the Washington, DC Metro Area
- Arrive magazine: “Top Women Lawyers in the Northeast”
- Who’s Who Legal USA: Trademarks
- The United Who’s Who Registry
- Biltmore Who's Who Among Executives and Professional Women, Honors Edition
- Guide to the World’s Leading Trade Mark Law Practitioners
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
- Excellence in legal writing award, International Trademark Association
- Member, INTA
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, New York Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, DC Bar Association
- Member, Virginia Bar Association
- Board of Directors, George Washington Law School Alumni Association
- George Washington Law Community Art Collection Committee
- Intellectual property mentor, GWU law students
- Co-chair, GWU Law School 30th and 35th Class Reunions
- Host committee, 2nd World Conference of Women’s Shelters (March 2012)
- Volunteer, Montgomery County Humane Society in Maryland