We understand from experience the legal complexities associated with the business of sports, and our practitioners have earned reputations for client-centered service and a practical approach to solving problems. Whether the issue is high-profile or discreet, our Sports Law Practice can bring a wide range of experience and discipline to the engagement. Our roster of clients includes teams from the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, and MLS and our sports-specific experience ranges from complex business and stadium financing transactions, to investigations and litigation, to player contract, league governance, and compliance matters. We also represent several global sports apparel companies in matters involving intellectual property protection and disputes, licensing and sponsorship transactions, and commercial litigation. Professional teams and athletes also rely on Mintz Levin to solve foreign visa and immigration issues and to advise them on personal business, branding, and licensing transactions. Our practice also focuses on protecting team owners and executives through reviewing and revising insurance and indemnification arrangements, making sure there are no gaps in protection and advising on every aspect of risk management, often drafting bespoke insurance contracts to maximize protection. This includes customized insurance policies for major sporting events, including the Los Angeles 2024 Olympic Bid, protecting all aspects of the business of sports.
Every Sports Law attorney practices in one or more additional legal specialties, including complementary areas such as corporate law, public and private finance, litigation, employment and labor law, real estate law, and criminal defense. This multidisciplinary approach allows our team to bring a wide range of talents to each engagement, generating integrated solutions to put our clients in the best position to win. Sports law is an arena where experience, flexibility, and creativity matter, and we give our clients a competitive advantage.
- Ranked and recognized by Chambers USA, and U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms"
- 500+ attorneys across eight offices — a national footprint and access to a strong international law firm network
- Exceptional depth of knowledge in the sports industry
- Interdisciplinary team representing several areas of practice and focused on the specialized legal issues surrounding professional and amateur sports
Areas of Focus
- Acquisitions and sales of sports teams or interests
- Employment and labor relation issues
- Equity and debt financing for team acquisitions or working capital
- Government investigations and
enforcement – league regulation compliance
- Insurance and risk management
- Intellectual property
- Intercollegiate athletics representation
- Internal investigations
- Marketing, merchandising, privacy, and licensing agreements
- Media contracts
- Professional athlete and management employment contracts
- Retail and distribution
- Stadium cellular, fiber optic, and other telecom transactions
- Team and stadium operating agreements and contracts (scoreboards, concessions, services)
- Team representation for internal league disputes and disciplinary matters