Poonam counsels governments, quasi-public authorities, and higher education facilities on the issuance of tax-exempt and taxable debt as well as securities and tax law matters. She also represents institutional investors and indenture trustees in the purchase and restructuring of high-yield municipal debt. Poonam has a background in finance and focuses on developing innovative, cost-effective solutions that help clients achieve their strategic goals.
Poonam counsels governments, quasi-public authorities and higher education facilities on the issuance of tax-exempt and taxable debt as well as securities and tax law matters. She brings expertise in a wide array of industries, including transportation, higher education, health care, economic development, project finance, stadium financing, water, and wastewater.
Poonam also represents institutional investors and indenture trustees with respect to the purchase and restructuring/workout of high yield municipal debt for energy, infrastructure, healthcare, higher education, charter schools and senior living facilities. With a background in finance, she works with financial advisors, credit analysts and portfolio managers to structure transactions that both protect their investment but also achieve their strategic goals.
Through her extensive experience on all sides of municipal transactions, she has gained a holistic perspective that enables her to bring creative and thoughtful counsel on complex matters that helps clients achieve their strategic goals.
- American University (JD)
- American University (BS, BA)
Recognition & Awards
- The Bond Buyer: Rising Stars Award (2016)
- Chambers USA: Massachusetts (Band 3) – Banking & Finance: Public Finance (2019-2020)
- Chambers USA: Massachusetts (Band 4) – Banking & Finance: Public Finance (2018)
- Chambers USA: Massachusetts (Up and Coming Star Associate) – Banking & Finance: Public Finance (2014 – 2017)
- Included on the Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Rising Stars – Government Finance list (2009 – 2012, 2017, 2019 – 2020)
- 2020 Turnaround Management Association's Non-Profit Turnaround Award
- Best Lawyers in America: Public Finance Law (2021)
- Secretary & Board Member, Boston Women in Public Finance
- Co-Chair, National Federation of Municipal Analyst’s Webinar Committee
- Board Member, Asian Task Force Against Domestic Violence
- Board of Trustees, Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation
- Member, National Association of Bond Lawyers