Bob is the managing partner of Mintz, and has received awards and national recognition for his innovative approach to management. Bob also is a seasoned trial lawyer with a very active litigation practice and decades of experience covering a number of areas including employment, commercial disputes, private equity, financial services, insurance, securities, real estate, sports law, and banking.
Bob has extensive experience defending companies and their directors and officers in securities litigation and related matters, including claims arising out of acquisitions, going private transactions, restatements, and allegations of financial irregularities. Bob is very highly regarded by those in the boardroom and those in the courtroom, having advised senior executives in challenging situations and successfully tried through verdict numerous jury and nonjury trials in the federal and state courts.
- Stanford University (JD)
- State University of New York - Binghamton (BS, Accounting, summa cum laude)
- Represented Apollo Global Management in conjunction with the Stark Master Fund litigation, a securities fraud case. Following jurisdictional discovery, Apollo filed a compelling motion to dismiss based on jurisdictional grounds, and the Plaintiffs decided to voluntarily dismiss Apollo from the case rather than try to battle Apollo’s motion in court.
- Represented Goldman Sachs and a group of underwriters in connection with claims arising from the IPO and subsequent earnings restatement of Opnext, Inc. We obtained an expeditious resolution of the matter that resulted in a full release of our client with no admission of liability and no payment.
- Defended Lloyds Bank in a fraudulent conveyance action. The month-long trial concerned the business enterprise valuation of a machine-tool manufacturer that later went bankrupt. The trial ended with low damages against our client, which were further reduced after an appeal, remand, and settlement.
- Represented the former directors of a US media company in a matter commenced by a litigation trustee. The trustee asserted claims that the former directors breached their fiduciary duties by failing to file for bankruptcy sooner to preserve assets for the benefit of the creditors. The case settled on favorable terms, requiring no monetary payments by our clients and no admission of liability.
- Served as counsel for a group of private equity firms named as defendants in an antitrust class action alleging that the defendant private equity firms and investment banks conspired to fix prices and allocate market share in the market for the acquisition of shares in companies being sold through leveraged buy outs.
- Represented institutional investors/bondholders in suit against auditors and directors and officers of an international conglomerate after bankruptcy.
- Represented institutional investors/bondholders in suit against indenture trustee after bankruptcy of bond issuer.
- Represented a major bank/liquidity provider in a dispute over the sequence and priority of payments on student-loan revenue bonds
- Represented real estate investors in a partnership dispute involving $500 million of New York real estate
- Represented a former Lehman Brothers broker in a securities arbitration. Client was sued by the former senior vice president of human resources, alleging that client failed to give timely advice regarding the sale of Lehman stock. Successfully settled matter.
Recognition & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America: Commercial Litigation; Litigation: Bankruptcy; Litigation: Labor and Employment; Litigation: Securities (2010 – 2020)
- Chambers USA: New York – Litigation: General Commercial (2011 – 2018)
- Law360: “Top Ten Innovative Managing Partners” (2010)
- Included on the New York Super Lawyers: Business Litigation List (2006 – 2019)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
- Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Litigation Section of the New York County Bar Association