Kevin is an accomplished litigator with deep experience defending clients in class action and health care related litigation. Kevin co-chairs the firm's Class Action Practice, and ably represents clients in a wide variety of non-securities class claims, including consumer, privacy, contract, antitrust, unfair trade practice, tort, and employment class actions.
A significant focus of his practice is representing health care-related companies – including pharmacies, PBMs, hospitals, clinical laboratories, diagnostic imaging providers, equipment manufacturers, pharmaceutical companies, and managed care organizations – in class action, contract, regulatory and False Claims Act lawsuits. In addition to health care clients, companies in diverse industries — including financial services, manufacturing, insurance, real estate, and retail — seek Kevin’s assistance on class action and complex litigation.
Kevin's extensive trial experience includes civil bench trials and jury trials in federal and state courts, as well as arbitrations before American Arbitration Association panels. He has appeared in state and federal courts in Alabama, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Illinois, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Texas.
Kevin has spoken on national panels concerning class action and privacy litigation, and has written extensively on class actions, privacy litigation, fraud and abuse litigation, and unfair trade practice litigation.
- Boston College (JD)
- Harvard College (AB, Government)
Health Care and Life Sciences
- Represent regional emergency hospital group in class action alleging improper and/or excessive billing for in-house clinical laboratory services.
- Represented large medical supply company in connection with a whistleblower action alleging that the resolution of certain rebate disputes with a managed care company resulted in illegal kickbacks and violation of the federal False Claims Act.
- Defended pharmaceutical company against class action alleging that unsolicited faxes inviting health care providers to an educational seminar violated the TCPA.
- Represented large regional health system in connection with an action seeking entry of a consent judgment to resolve state and federal antitrust claims and permit acquisitions of two community hospital systems.
- Defended large national clinical laboratory against claims that its agreements with large managed care companies resulted in purported illegal kickbacks, giving rise to violations of the False Claims Act. Identified the grounds on which the defendant obtained dismissal, establishing a precedent that was affirmed in the federal Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
- Obtained dismissal of a “junk fax” class action brought under the TCPA in connection with informational faxes sent to a health care benefit administrator’s network of providers.
Construction and Real Estate
- Represent former owner and operator of residential apartment complex in class action alleging violations of laws governing handling of security deposits and submetering of water and sewer utilities.
- Represent an owner and operator of residential rental properties in a class action alleging a failure to properly repair, preserve and maintain units located in a subsidized housing project.
- Defended a construction industry labor union against claims that enforcement of subcontracting requirements in its collective bargaining agreements violated Sections 1 and 2 of the Sherman Act. Crafted and argued winning summary judgment motion dismissing plaintiff’s antitrust claims.
- Defended a class action brought on behalf of all students at a school for developmentally disabled boys seeking damages for alleged acts of physical and emotional abuse committed by staff at the school. Obtained dismissal of the claims asserted on behalf of the putative class based on the inability to prove the class claims through evidence common to the class as a whole.
Consumer Goods and Professional Services
- Represent multiple automobile dealership group against class actions alleging that compensation of inside sales employees violated state wage, overtime, and Sunday pay requirements
- Represented national manufacturing trade associations in connection with submission of amicus briefs concerning class certification appeals pending before the U.S. Supreme Court and multiple federal circuit courts of appeal
- Represented national oil change service franchise operator in class action alleging that that the defendants misrepresented oil change intervals recommended for customers’ cars. Obtained favorable individual settlement in exchange for dismissal of class claims
- Obtained voluntary dismissal of class action brought against a community bank alleging fraudulent and deceptive marketing practices in connection with the marketing of interest-bearing checking accounts.
- Defended large private equity firms in a class action alleging that defendants engaged in bid rigging and market allocation in connection with large-cap leveraged buyout transactions.
- Defended national retailer against class action alleging violation of statute prohibiting collection of zip codes in connection with credit card transactions. Obtained individual settlement and voluntary dismissal of class claims.
Recognition & Awards
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Class Action (2004 – 2021)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent