Ellen is a senior associate who focuses her practice on securities litigation, including shareholder class actions and opt-outs, business disputes, investigations, and crisis management. She has experience advising clients in all stages of litigation, including pre-litigation counseling and negotiations, taking and defending depositions, drafting dispositive briefs and other filings, as well as assisting clients through the appeals process. She also has significant experience representing clients in internal investigations and interfacing with various government entities including the U.S. Department of Justice and the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Ellen has represented companies and individuals in a variety of industries, including life sciences and financial services.
Ellen also has an active pro bono practice. To date, she has successfully represented individuals seeking asylum, a Section 8 tenant facing eviction, and a domestic violence shelter.
Prior to joining Mintz, Ellen was a litigation associate at a leading global law firm’s New York headquarters, where she worked on securities litigation and complex commercial cases, including for Fortune 500 companies.
While attending law school, Ellen was a legal intern for a New York-based civil rights lawyer, focusing on First Amendment matters and other issues. She also served on the executive board and as a submissions editor for the Harvard Journal of Law & Gender and as a primary editor for the Harvard Human Rights Journal.
- Represented a large multinational operator of membership warehouse clubs, and its former executives, securing dismissal of all claims pursuant to the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 arising from allegations that the company misled the public about its performance, among other alleged missteps.
- Represented wellness company and its board members, securing summary judgment, dismissing all federal securities claims pursuant to the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and the Securities Act of 1933, as well as a breach of contract claim, arising from merger. Summary judgment affirmed by the Second Circuit.
- Represented wellness company and its board members, securing dismissal of all federal securities claims pursuant to the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, breach of contract, and common law fraud claims arising from merger.
- Represented pharmaceutical company and its executives, securing dismissal of all federal securities claims pursuant to the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and Securities Act 1933, as well as common law claims, in connection with statements concerning pipeline drug. Dismissal affirmed by the Second Circuit.
- Represented CEO of software company against federal securities claims brought by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission concerning milestone payments related to a merger. Achieved favorable settlement for client.
- Represented financial firm and its executives against Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and Securities Act of 1933 claims in opt-out actions across the country arising out of the 2008 financial crisis.
- Represented numerous public companies in connection with shareholder demands.
- Represented numerous executives in internal, SEC, FINRA, and DOJ investigations.
- Represented numerous biotechnology companies in FINRA investigations.
- Represented numerous biotechnology, life science, and wellness companies in SEC investigations.
- Represented individual in university-led investigation into, inter alia, allegations of research misconduct and fraudulent statements.
- Conducted internal investigation of private equity-owned portfolio company, assessing whistleblower’s pay-for-play allegations.
- Conducted internal investigation of start-up, assessing potential violations of various federal and state laws.
- Represented members of an asset management company in dispute concerning put option and redemption rights in ICDR arbitration. Achieved favorable settlement for clients.
- Represented private equity investor in pre-litigation business dispute with former CEO of wellness-space portfolio company.
- Represented funds in business dispute concerning alleged trademark violation and breach of non-disclosure agreement. Achieved favorable settlement for clients.
- Represented a boutique investment bank focused on clean energy deals in a commercial dispute in an AAA arbitration. The matter was settled favorably on behalf of the client in mediation.
- Represented board member of public company, securing dismissal of fraudulent inducement claim brought by a shareholder. Dismissal and denial of post-judgment amendment affirmed by the Second Circuit.
- Represented pharmaceutical company against breach of contract claim concerning contingent value right milestones.
December 15, 2023 | Advisory | By John Condon, Anne Bruno, Melanie Ruthrauff Levy, Jacob Hupart, Cynthia Larose, Breton Leone-Quick, Page R. Hubben, Ellen Shapiro
A Mintz ESG Primer: The Current State of Environmental, Social, and Governance Matters in American Corporations
October 24, 2023 | Resources
April 19, 2023 | Blog | By Ellen Shapiro
January 10, 2022 | Article
News & Press
September 22, 2023
August 2, 2023
February 14, 2023
December 15, 2022
September 29, 2022
March 7, 2019
Events & Speaking
Federal Bar Council
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP, One Manhattan West, New York, New York 10001-8602
Federal Bar Council
Federal Bar Council
Recognition & Awards
Best Lawyers in America "Ones to Watch": Litigation - Securities (2022-2024)
Best Lawyers in America "Ones to Watch": Commercial Litigation (2024)
New York Super Lawyers - Rising Stars (2022 - 2023)
- Federal Bar Council, Program Committee, member