Jacob has a multifaceted litigation practice that encompasses complex commercial litigation, securities litigation, including class action claims, as well as white collar criminal defense and regulatory investigations. He has extensive experience handling all phases of litigation before federal and state courts, managing discovery, and conducting settlement negotiations. Jacob has represented clients in a variety of industries, including financial services, energy, healthcare, education, and the media.
His complex commercial litigation practice encompasses contract disputes, merger-related litigation and business tort claims for a multitude of companies, ranging from start-ups to Fortune 100 conglomerates. Jacob also has extensive experience representing corporations, directors & officers of boards, c-suite executives, and other relevant individuals in shareholder derivative actions, securities class actions, and SEC enforcement proceedings. Much of Jacob’s representation begins, and finishes, before litigation is ever filed through risk assessment and mitigation counselling. He has particular expertise advising companies in a multitude of industries on their ESG disclosures and policies, and managing the related risk exposure.
Jacob is a prolific thought leader who frequently writes and publishes articles on the legal and regulatory issues impacting ESG disclosures, climate change, and pending environmental litigations.
Prior to joining Mintz, he was an associate at a New York-based international law firm, where he assisted with a broad range of litigation, including disputes involving multibillion-dollar claims.
While attending law school, Jacob was a summer intern in the Violent Crimes & Terrorism Section of the US Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York. In law school, he served as an executive technical editor and an articles editor of the Harvard Civil Rights-Civil Liberties Law Review and as a technical editor and an article editor of the Harvard International Law Journal.
As an undergraduate at Columbia, Jacob was awarded the Euretta J. Kellett Fellowship, which funded his two years of graduate study at the University of Cambridge in England.
- Harvard Law School (JD, cum laude)
- University of Cambridge (MLitt)
- University of Cambridge (MPhil)
- Columbia University (BA, magna cum laude)
Complex Commercial & Securities Litigation
- Representing a generic pharmaceutical company that manufactures topical and injectable drugs, in a securities class action in the Southern District of New York and related stockholder derivative litigation in multiple courts.
- Representing the sole owner of a healthcare system and multiple of the company’s entities in a complex contracts case ongoing in Delaware Chancery Court, which involves competing claims and interests from large health care operating systems, local and state politicians and real estate titans.
- Representing an accounting firm in arbitration concerning a contractual dispute.
- Representing a global alternative asset investment manager in a derivative matter in Delaware Chancery Court.
- Representing one of the nation’s largest health care provider systems in connection with various contract and tort litigations.
- Advised an Ivy League university on issues related to Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and represented the school in cases involving former students.
- Counseled a luxury retailer on matters related to its dispute with an international distributor.
- Represented a global financial services company in a victory at the Second Circuit that enables corporations to enter into consent judgments with federal regulators without making admissions of wrongdoing.
- Represented a global financial services corporation in numerous litigations and regulatory matters related to the subprime and credit crisis.
- Represented a hedge fund and its owner in criminal and regulatory proceedings and litigations connected to claims of insider trading.
- Represented a multinational nuclear energy company in commercial disputes with a joint venture partner, including the valuation of energy assets.
- Represented a multinational nuclear energy company in a ratepayer dispute with a public utility.
- Represented a multinational oil and gas corporation in cases involving damage claims related to global climate change.
- Represented a multinational oil and gas corporation in federal and state investigations concerning global climate change disclosures.
- Represented a multinational oil and gas corporation at trial opposing a Northeastern State AG involving claims of environmental damages.
- Represented a Fortune 500 energy company in merger-related disputes.
- Represented a financial services company in disputes concerning the valuation of nuclear power assets in the Southeast.
Recognition & Awards
- Benchmark Litigation: 40 & Under Hot List (2021)
- Phi Beta Kappa