Failure to Investigate Could Mean “Game-Set-and-Match” for EB-5 Investors: SEC Case against Brother-in-Law of Tennis Star Andre Agassi Shows Risk for Would-be Immigrant Investors
August 31, 2015 | Blog | By Adam Sisitsky, Douglas Hauer
On August 25, 2015, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) filed a civil fraud suit against Lobsang Dargey, a Bellevue, Washington-based real estate developer and alleged fraudster, who also happens to be a brother-in-law of tennis star Andre Agassi.
August 6, 2015 | Blog | By Douglas Hauer
On August 3, 2015, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) published updated processing times for EB-5 immigration benefits. The news continues to be bleak.
Inglorious Fraudsters: Unlawfully sourced funds can taint EB-5 investments and result in forfeiture actions
July 28, 2015 | Blog | By Douglas Hauer
Last month, the United States District Court in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia) ordered a default judgment against an interest in a limited partnership connected with an EB-5 investment.
July 24, 2015 | Blog | By Douglas Hauer
Change is on the EB-5 horizon. With the Regional Center Program nearing its expiration and recent legislative efforts coming from lawmakers, we may see some action by Congress or the Senate before the end of September.
July 21, 2015 | Blog | By Douglas Hauer
The Securities and Exchange Commission (“the Commission” or “SEC) recently published an overview of Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (“FCPA) enforcement actions. Since 2010, the SEC has had a specialized unit devoted to enforcement of the FCPA.
July 15, 2015 | Blog | By Douglas Hauer
Recently, a question about Regulation S came to me from a team of very well regarded EB-5 regional center directors. I wanted to share this question with you, as well as our brief response.
July 8, 2015 | Blog | By Douglas Hauer
In a recent action, SEC v. Luca International Group, LLC et al. ("SEC v. Luca"), the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has charged a California-based oil and gas company and its CEO with violations of securities laws in connection with a $68 million Ponzi scheme and affinity fraud.
July 8, 2015 | Blog | By Joel Rothman, Douglas Hauer
The Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”) appears to be stepping up enforcement in the EB-5 area. On July 6, 2015, the SEC filed a complaint and a separate cease and desist order against the perpetrators of a Ponzi scheme targeting EB-5 investors.
July 6, 2015 | Blog | By Douglas Hauer
Check out the latest on prospects for legislative changes to the EB-5 Program.
June 25, 2015 | Blog | By Douglas Hauer, Steve Ganis
On June 23, 2015, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) issued a press release in connection with charging two firms that unlawfully brokered more than $79 million of EB-5 investments to more than 150 investors seeking U.S. residency under the EB-5 Investor Visa Program.
Explore Other Viewpoints:
- Arbitration, Mediation & Alternate Dispute Resolution
- Bankruptcy & Restructuring
- Class Action
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Consumer Product Safety
- Debt Financing
- EB-5 Financing
- Education & Nonprofits
- Employment, Labor & Benefits
- Energy & Sustainability
- Environmental Enforcement Defense
- Environmental Law
- FDA Regulatory
- Federal Circuit Appeals
- Financial Institution Litigation
- Government Law
- Health Care
- Health Care Compliance, Fraud and Abuse, & Regulatory Counseling
- Health Care Enforcement & Investigations
- Health Care Transactions
- Health Information Privacy & Security
- IP Due Diligence
- IPRs & Other Post Grant Proceedings
- Insolvency & Creditor Rights Litigation
- Institutional Investor Class Action Recovery
- Insurance & Financial Services
- Insurance Consulting & Risk Management
- Insurance and Reinsurance Problem-Solving & Dispute Resolution
- Intellectual Property
- Investment Funds
- Licensing & Technology Transactions
- Life Sciences
- Litigation & Investigations
- M&A Litigation
- ML Strategies
- Medicare, Medicaid and Commercial Coverage & Reimbursement
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Patent Litigation
- Patent Prosecution & Strategic Counseling
- Privacy & Cybersecurity
- Private Client
- Private Equity
- Products Liability & Complex Tort
- Project Development & Finance
- Public Finance
- Real Estate Litigation
- Real Estate Transactions
- Real Estate, Construction & Infrastructure
- Retail & Consumer Products
- Securities & Capital Markets
- Securities Litigation
- Sports & Entertainment
- Strategic IP Monetization & Licensing
- Trade Secrets
- Trademark & Copyright
- Trademark Litigation
- Venture Capital & Emerging Companies
- White Collar Defense & Government Investigations