Check your employee handbook - what you might think is fraud and abuse may not be a federal case....
September 25, 2009 | Blog | By Cynthia Larose
My colleagues over at the Employment Matters blog report on an interesting decision drawing attention to the need for clear and explicit policies regarding "acceptable use" of computers and company information and the absolute necessity to terminate access once an employee or contractor is terminated.
September 21, 2009 | Blog | By Cynthia Larose
A recent decision by the Maine Supreme Court highlights the tension between an employee's reasonable expectation of privacy in conducting personal business through a company's computer system and the individual's right to prevent the company's publishing of such material.
August 17, 2009 | Blog | By Cynthia Larose
Just released - proposed amendments to the Massachusetts data security regulations -- and a three-month extension of time to comply. Stay tuned for a full analysis.
August 14, 2009 | Blog | By Cynthia Larose
The Associated Press reports that American Express has notified some card-holders that their information may have been compromised. According to an American Express spokesperson, the breach resulted from an employee’s recent theft of data.
August 14, 2009 | Blog | By Cynthia Larose
Just some nuggets to wrap up the week:
July 24, 2009 | Blog | By Cynthia Larose
Maine Governor John Baldacci has signed a sweeping new law called "An Act to Prevent Predatory Marketing Practices to Minors." While that is a laudatory effort and responsible marketers would not want to be predatory, it is not difficult to see this law as overreaching.
July 13, 2009 | Blog | By Cynthia Larose
Much as it is with general federal privacy legislation, nature abhors a vacuum, and the states take up the "hot potato."
July 9, 2009 | Blog | By Cynthia Larose
Reports today are indicating that several South Korean Web sites have been attacked again. Several officials have voiced speculation that North Korea was behind both today's denial of service attacks and last week's wave of outages that hit sites in both the U.S. and South Korea. No comment from Pyongyang.
June 23, 2009 | Blog | By Cynthia Larose
Bad news if you were a frequent flyer who ponied up the $199 annual fee to participate in Verified Identity Pass, Inc.'s registered traveler program, branded as "Clear." Last night, the company announced that it was "unable to negotiate an agreement with its senior creditor" and shut down. Membership fees will not be refunded.
June 18, 2009 | Blog | By Cynthia Larose
In the run-up to the enforcement deadline for the Identity Theft Red Flag Rule (August 1, 2009 - more on that in another post), enforcement of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Privacy Rule and Safeguards Rule has not been forgotten by the Federal Trade Commission.
Explore Other Viewpoints:
- Arbitration, Mediation & Alternate Dispute Resolution
- Bankruptcy & Restructuring
- Class Action
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Consumer Product Safety
- Debt Financing
- EB-5 Financing
- Education & Nonprofits
- Employment, Labor & Benefits
- Energy & Sustainability
- Environmental Enforcement Defense
- Environmental Law
- FDA Regulatory
- Federal Circuit Appeals
- Financial Institution Litigation
- Government Law
- Health Care
- Health Care Compliance, Fraud and Abuse, & Regulatory Counseling
- Health Care Enforcement & Investigations
- Health Care Transactions
- Health Information Privacy & Security
- IP Due Diligence
- IPRs & Other Post Grant Proceedings
- Insolvency & Creditor Rights Litigation
- Institutional Investor Class Action Recovery
- Insurance & Financial Services
- Insurance Consulting & Risk Management
- Insurance and Reinsurance Problem-Solving & Dispute Resolution
- Intellectual Property
- Investment Funds
- Licensing & Technology Transactions
- Life Sciences
- Litigation & Investigations
- M&A Litigation
- ML Strategies
- Medicare, Medicaid and Commercial Coverage & Reimbursement
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Patent Litigation
- Patent Prosecution & Strategic Counseling
- Privacy & Cybersecurity
- Private Client
- Private Equity
- Products Liability & Complex Tort
- Project Development & Finance
- Public Finance
- Real Estate Litigation
- Real Estate Transactions
- Real Estate, Construction & Infrastructure
- Retail & Consumer Products
- Securities & Capital Markets
- Securities Litigation
- Sports & Entertainment
- Strategic IP Monetization & Licensing
- Trade Secrets
- Trademark & Copyright
- Trademark Litigation
- Venture Capital & Emerging Companies
- White Collar Defense & Government Investigations