Caitie is a commercial litigator who defends clients facing government investigations and whistleblower complaints regarding alleged violations of the federal False Claims Act (FCA) and similar state laws. Caitie also handles complex commercial litigation for health care, life sciences, and biotechnology companies, and defends national product liability cases for pharmaceutical and biotech companies.
Caitie represents and defends health plans, Medicare Advantage Organizations, and pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers against alleged violations of the FCA and the Anti-Kickback Statute (AKS). She advises and counsels her clients in government or internal investigations, litigation, and at trial or arbitration. She also defends pharmaceutical and biotech companies in national product liability cases. Caitie is well versed in complex e-discovery frequently handling large data matters for litigation, internal investigations, and government inquiries.
Caitie’s practice includes advising highly regulated clients in permitting and application processes, administrative agency appeals, and in subsequent appeals of agency decisions in state court. Caitie regularly works with clients to draft pre- and post- hearing briefs as well as prepare and defend company personnel and expert witnesses during the appeal process.
Caitie also maintains an active pro bono practice, representing individuals in civil rights, housing, and immigration matters, including asylum seekers. Most recently, she worked on a pro bono appeal on behalf of the Wildlands Trust, a non-profit land conservation organization. During law school she was a student representative for the Clinic for Asylum, Refugee, and Emigrant Services and served as a law clerk extern for the Honorable Joel H. Slomsky in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Health Care Enforcement Defense:
- Defended numerous clients, including health plans, laboratories, and Medicare Advantage Organizations, in government FCA investigations and FCA litigation in jurisdictions around the country.
- Advised Medicare Advantage plans in connection with civil investigative demands related to risk adjustment activities.
- Represented large medical supply company in connection with a whistleblower action alleging that the resolution of certain rebate disputes with a Medicare Advantage Organization resulted in illegal kickbacks and violation of the federal FCA.
Product Liability Defense:
- Part of the team that obtained summary judgment in ten out of ten related cases against our clients, a publicly traded biotechnology company and a pharmaceutical company, in multi-jurisdictional product liability disputes involving an FDA-approved drug.
Complex Commercial Litigation:
- Helped to secure dismissal on behalf of a former Saudi intelligence official in a case brought by the kingdom’s sovereign wealth fund and its subsidiaries, alleging our client embezzled billions of dollars.
- Won a complete dismissal with prejudice of a $3 billion RICO case filed against our client, Wynn Resorts in the District of Massachusetts. The case was brought by Sterling Suffolk Racecourse as part of an ongoing legal battle with Wynn over competing casino projects in the greater Boston area. The matter involved a collection of salacious allegations cutting across multiple jurisdictions, but our team was ultimately successful in arguing that Suffolk had failed to prove a pattern of racketeering activity, a necessity in a RICO case.
- Representing energy company in administrative appeals of wetlands and Chapter 91 waterways permitting for natural gas infrastructure.
- Successfully defended energy company against administrative appeals of an Air Quality Plan Approval for natural gas infrastructure.
- Part of the team representing gaming company Wynn MA, LLC surrounding community arbitrations against Somerville and Chelsea.
- Represented the general contractor on major hospital renovation project against bankrupt millwork subcontractor’s performance bond surety in a 9-day arbitration for delay and impact damages.
Consumer Suits Against Gerber Baby Foods Dismissed
November 10, 2022 | Blog | By Caitie Hill
Obtaining Justice for a Judicial Advocate
October 27, 2022 | Article
Six Contracting Tips for Property Owners and Real Estate Developers to Protect Themselves from Contractor Distress and Related Bankruptcy Filings
May 5, 2021 | Blog | By Caitie Hill, Tim McKeon, Samuel M. Tony Starr
FDA Releases Ambitious Action Plan for Further Reducing Children’s Exposure to Toxic Elements from Foods
April 28, 2021 | Blog | By Joanne Hawana, Jane Haviland, Caitie Hill
Health Care Enforcement Year in Review & 2021 Outlook
February 18, 2021 | | By Eoin Beirne, Brian Dunphy, Karen Lovitch, Kevin McGinty, Samantha Kingsbury, Keshav Ahuja, Grady Campion, Jane Haviland, Caitie Hill
Seventh Circuit Adds to Circuit Split Over Standard for DOJ Dismissals in FCA Cases
August 25, 2020 | Blog | By Laurence Freedman, Geoffrey Friedman, Caitie Hill
Massachusetts U.S. Attorney’s Office Enters into MOU with Office of the Special Inspector General for Pandemic Recovery
July 30, 2020 | Blog | By Karen Lovitch, Caitie Hill
COVID-19 Relief Programs: The Anticipated Wave of False Claims Act Cases and Oversight Agency Enforcement Activities
July 2, 2020 | Blog | By Brian Dunphy, Geoffrey Friedman, Caitie Hill, Jane Haviland, Karen Lovitch
The Supreme Judicial Court Declares that Inexpensive Market-Rate Housing May Not Be Counted in Determining a Town’s Compliance with Chapter 40B
January 11, 2013 | Alert | By Nicholas Cramb, Caitie Hill
News & Press
Mintz Announces New Member Growth
December 16, 2022
Contractor Distress, Construction Law, and Bankruptcy
January 14, 2022
Healthcare Enforcement & Litigation 2022
August 27, 2021
Civil RICO Report: Court Finds No Pattern of Racketeering Activity
January 17, 2020
Federal Judge Dismisses Claims Against Wynn Resorts Filed by Former Suffolk Downs Owner
November 18, 2019
Recognition & Awards
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly: Up & Coming Lawyer Honoree (2022)
- Best Lawyers in America "Ones to Watch": Product Liability Litigation - Defendants (2021-2023), Litigation - Construction (2023)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Rising Star - Business Litigation (2021-2022)
- Member, Women's Leadership Program, Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce (2019-2020)