Esteban is an experienced litigator whose practice is principally focused on class action defense and financial services litigation. Esteban has successfully defended both small and large corporate clients targeted in class action suits alleging violations of various federal and state statutes, including the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act, California’s Unfair Competition Law, and California’s Invasion of Privacy Act. Results include dismissals at the pleading stage and without any discovery following aggressive defense strategies. In addition to defending class actions, Esteban has represented clients in corporate, real estate, trust and estate, and securities disputes. He is also a member of the firm's Sports & Entertainment Practice.
Before joining the firm, Esteban served as in-house Counsel for a major broker-dealer with thousands of registered representatives stationed throughout the country. In his capacity as an in-house attorney, Esteban litigated cases, routinely interfaced with insurance carriers and brokers, managed outside counsel, and advised on regulatory matters.
Esteban has been featured in The American Lawyer for his pro bono work with immigrant youth seeking Special Immigrant Juvenile Status. Esteban also previously practiced at an international law firm and was an extern for the Honorable Dale S. Fischer, US District Court, Central District of California.
- University of California - Los Angeles (JD)
- Brandeis University (BA)
Privacy Class Actions
- Motion to dismiss granted with prejudice (no discovery) in a privacy class action suit filed against a major NBA franchise
- Motion to dismiss granted in a privacy class action filed against an app developer claiming an app functioned as a tracking device
- Motion to dismiss granted in privacy class action alleged against public transportation authority
- Demurrer granted in California Invasion of Privacy Act class action against national retailer
- Summary judgment granted in favor of global distributions systems provider in class action alleging TCPA violation
- Voluntary dismissal of TCPA class action alleged against auto dealership network
- Voluntary dismissal of privacy class action alleged against creditor
- Voluntary dismissal of FACTA class action alleged against local service provider
- Managed litigation (including numerous FINRA arbitrations) for four independent broker-dealers
- Advised clients in connection with SEC and FINRA exams and inquiries
- Represented a federal equity receiver pursuing claims against former officers, directors, and auditors associated with a Ponzi scheme
- Second-chaired trial for declaratory relief involving assignment of a lease and prevailed on a motion for non-suit
Recognition & Awards
- Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Star: Class Action (2018-2019)
- Recipient of Public Counsel Law Center Children's Rights Project Award