Dan’s bankruptcy practice covers a wide range of complex and diverse issues involving litigation, insolvency matters, workouts, and creditors’ rights. He is predominately known in the industry for his representation of bond trustees and bondholders involving continuing care retirement communities as well as other health care related entities nationwide. Dan also focuses his practice in representing distressed tax-exempt debt in a number of different spaces including hospitality and manufacturing.
In addition, Dan represents clients in distressed acquisitions and divestitures. He also represents borrowers and creditors involving other distressed financial matters.
He is the author of various articles and has lectured on numerous subjects at various forums. Dan also serves on committees for various bankruptcy organizations.
- Boston University School of Law (JD)
- Boston College (BA)
- Representing the indenture trustee as the senior secured creditor in connection with a default relating to a resort in the Chesapeake Bay, MD area.
- Represented the bond trustees as the senior secured creditors owed in excess of $330 million in Louisiana and $185 million in Texas in bankruptcy proceedings involving German Pellets and its US subsidiaries. We handled issues including: negotiating post-petition financing for each facility; litigating issues involving the single largest off-take agreement with a UK company relating to the LA facility; litigating various issues against the unsecured creditors committee in each bankruptcy involving the rights, claims, and collateral of the bond trustee; negotiating proposed sale of Louisiana facility; and overseeing the various insolvency matters pending in Germany.
Recognition & Awards
- Chambers USA: Massachusetts – Bankruptcy/Restructuring (2004 – 2018)
- Included on the Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights list (2006 – 2017)
- Best Lawyers in America: Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2011 – 2019)
- Fellow, American College of Bankruptcy
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Member, New Hampshire Bar Association
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member, National Federation of Municipal Analysts
- Member, Turnaround Management Association
- Board Member, The Doug Flutie, Jr. Foundation for Autism