David is an experienced trial lawyer and trusted advisor to businesses and their executives with a focus on employment law and HR issues. He has litigated hundreds of cases in federal and state courts and arbitrations nationwide. David is devoted to helping clients accomplish their compliance, risk reduction, and employee relations objectives.
As a trial lawyer, David has handled cases involving a broad range of disputes such as employment discrimination, whistleblower and other retaliation claims, noncompetition agreements and trade secret issues, wage and hour (FLSA) compliance, class and collective actions, and employment contract disputes. Clients have also regularly looked to David to litigate disputes involving a broad range of non-employment issues, including contract, partnership, shareholder, technology, and outsourcing.
As a trusted advisor, David has helped clients across many industries to reduce employment practices risks and adopt best practices, relating to wage and hour laws, employee leave laws, internal investigations, dispute resolution policies and practices, non-compete and trade secret issues, employee training, personnel and other policies, and WARN Act issues and other matters. He also is frequently involved in the negotiation and drafting of executive employment, separation, and related agreements.
David's clients include publicly and privately held companies, non-profits and trade associations, and their executives in a broad range of industries, including:
- Health care and life sciences
- Consulting and professional services
- Defense and security
- Hospitality, including hotels and restaurants
- Government Contracting
- Staffing and outsourcing
- Consulting and professional services
- Professional sports
David chaired the firm’s Employment, Labor & Benefits Practice for more than a decade. He has been recognized as a leading lawyer by several publications including Chambers USA, a leading legal research guide, in which clients interviewed had these comments about David: “a superior lawyer who is very knowledgeable and attentive” and "unbelievably responsive and timely... His advice is very, very well informed but also highly tuned to the needs of the business". In addition, he has been recognized by Best Lawyers in Labor and Employment litigation and by Super Lawyers, which identified David as one of the District of Columbia's "Top 100" lawyers.
David also has frequently written, lectured, and been quoted on issues such as class action risk mitigation, use of arbitration agreements and class action waivers, post-employment breaches of fiduciary duties, employee versus independent contractor status, employment discrimination, alternative dispute resolution, trial practice, and budgeting for litigation.
- Georgetown University (JD)
- State University of New York - Buffalo (BA)
Recognition & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America: Litigation - Labor and Employment (2021-2022), Employment Law - Individuals (2022)
- Included on the Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers: Employment & Labor, Employment Litigation: Defense, Business Litigation, Alternative Dispute Resolution List (2007, 2010 – 2021)
- Chambers USA: District of Columbia – Labor & Employment (2014 – 2021)
- Included in the Top 100 List of the Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers (2021)
- Previously included on the Virginia Super Lawyers: Employment & Labor, Business Litigation, Alternative Dispute Resolution List
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Employment Law 360 (2013 and 2014)
- Senior Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America, The Trial Lawyer Honorary Society
- Chair, American Academy of Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Certified mediator, Institute for Conflict Management
- Pro bono mediator, Civil Division of the Superior Court of the District of Columbia
- Past Master of the Bench, William B. Bryant American Inn of Court, Washington, DC
- Past faculty member, National Institute of Trial Advocacy, Georgetown University Law Center
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, American Bar Association (ABA)
- Member, ABA Litigation Section
- Member, ABA Labor and Employment Law Section