Mintz Levin helps clients make the most of their patent holdings. We work with sophisticated patent holders who own high-value patent assets. Our proven approach to creating and maximizing revenue streams has generated more than a half billion-dollars for those clients. Monetizing a portfolio is not simply about building the portfolio and licensing patents. It requires making strategic decisions about clients’ patent assets, identifying which assets are core to their ongoing business and which are not — and knowing how to maximize even the non-core assets that have value in today’s global marketplace. This is what the team at Mintz Levin does.
We have developed an efficient process and put together an experienced team to assess portfolios in relation to current product offerings and the marketplace, identify assets that may be used to enhance defensive positioning, expand product lines or features, and generate revenue. And because we have a number of monetization options at our disposal, we develop programs specific to the assets, market, and our particular client’s appetite for risk.
Your Mintz Levin team will help appraise market conditions, identify value-driver assets, locate potential targets, and assess the best option for generating revenue. This may be through a negotiated sale or license, an enforcement program using Federal District Courts, the U.S. International Trade Commission, international enforcement, or a coordinated campaign involving several of these options.
- Generated more than $500 million for clients in the past 5 years through brokerage and enforcement proceedings.
- Established a first-of-its kind United States International Trade Commission–based enforcement model.
- Earned a rare General Exclusion Order from the ITC in enforcing a client’s right to market exclusivity for their innovative LED lighting technology.
- Craft and leverage global enforcement strategies.
- Work with sophisticated patent portfolios and conduct comprehensive technical and financial risk assessments.
Rankings & Recognitions
- IAM Patent 1000 (2016)
- Patent Litigation Practice and 7 attorneys recognized among the "World's Leading Patent Practitioners"
- IAM Strategy 300 (2015/2016)
- Michael T. Renaud, Division Head for IP and Leader of the Patent Monetization & Optimization Practice, identified among "The World's Leading IP Strategists"
- Chambers USA (2016)
- 3 IP attorneys identified as leaders in their respective patent fields, including Michael T. Renaud, the Division Head for IP and Leader of the Patent Monetization & Optimization Practice
- BTI Consulting Group's 2016 Litigation Outlook
- IP litigation practice ranked in top 5% of all law firms by corporate counsel